The group parish of Bartestree with Lugwardine is situated in a pleasant rural location three miles east of Hereford. In the Hagley Ward and Hereford locality, and surrounded by the parishes of Weston Beggard, Dormington and Withington, it covers 2530 acres [1012 hectares], straddles the busy A438 Hereford to Ledbury road and is bounded by the River Lugg along its western and southern sides. Both villages have a thriving community, local amenities and popular schools. As well as a church and a chapel, there is a modern village hall, sited amidst an extensive area of playing field, two purpose-built children's play areas and a new sports pavilion.
Lugwardine consists of a mixture of older buildings, some timber framed and listed, and newer developments of bungalows and
houses from the 1970's onwards. Bartestree is mostly a recently developed community, with the conversion of the convent to residential apartments together with
additional adjacent housing, being the most recent. There is also a village shop with off licence, a hair dressing salon and bespoke
The joint village still sits among fields and woods. There is pasture and arable land, corn and hops, even vines.
The latest Minutes of the Parish Council and Planning Committee have been updated. Please see relevant sections.
Posted on: 06/09/2016